To inspire the wellbeing and inclusion of LGBTI seniors in the Sunshine Coast areas
Educate Facilitate Advocate Network
Our group is comprised of:
- organisations that provide services to older people,
- those who are LGBTI allies, and
- LGBTI older people (our Living Legends)
We also welcome any other service providers who are allies, and celebrate LGBTI older people as well as LGBTI elders in our local community.
Our purpose is:
• Be a source for advocacy and education in creating an awareness of the specific needs of LGBTI people as they age, and for those LGBTI people moving into a caring role
• Develop an ongoing understanding of the needs of the older LGBTI community on the Sunshine Coast so that LGBTI CAN Sunshine Coast advocacy is relevant and beneficial
• Provide a forum where service providers and LGBTI elders can meet to build trust, and a venue for service providers to gain support and build confidence as they transform their organisations into genuinely inclusive services
• A source for policy makers and advisors engaged in developing policies, procedures and strategy documents pertinent to LGBTI people as they age
• Support networking and information exchange between LGBTI CAN members and ensuring LGBTI issues are represented in other aged care forums of which LGBTI CAN participants are members
We acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which our group meets, the Gubi Gubi people, and we pay our respects to elders past and present.
We also acknowledge our LGBTI elders, past and present. We express our gratitude for the recognition and acceptance of the LGBTI community experienced today and we acknowledge the battles they have fought and our sorrow for the prejudices they have experienced in order for us to be where we are today.
LGBTI Community Ageing Network
LGBTI Community Ageing Network is supported by the following service providers:
Carers Queensland is the peak body representing and advocating on behalf of carers throughout Queensland.
Suncare’s core business is to understand community needs and develop innovative responses for people who are ageing, living with a disability or mental illness.
Queensland Aids Council LGBTI Seniors Community Visitor Service
Trained volunteer visitors with LGBTI senior clients who feel alone or isolated from their community due to health, mobility or other issues.
(Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast)
A community for meaningful connection for people of diverse bodies, gender, relationships and sexualities.
National LGBTI Alliance
Understanding and celebrating the diversity of genders, bodies, sexualities, and relationships of older Australians.
General news specific to the LGBTI Community
Living Older, Visibly and Engaged
Mature Aged Gays
Radical Faeries are a loosely affiliated international group of mostly gay men and mostly counter culture pagans.
Welcoming Social Wellness Project
A place for older gender and sexually diverse (GSD) women in Australia to find resources and connect with other women about health and wellbeing.
Raising awareness of the health, housing and care needs of older lesbians.
Empowering LGBTI Elders & promoting healthy LGBTI Ageing
Building respect for older people
Older Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans Association
Advocacy & services for LGBT elders
LGBTI CAN operates under the auspices of the Queensland AIDS Council.
The Queensland AIDS Council (QuAC) is an independent community based health promotion charity which encompasses lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender and intersex health.